Complete France Forum

Car Insurance

Braco

Hi we would be grateful for some pointers as to getting car insurance in France. With the rising cost of fuel, and the opportunity of taking long week end breaks we have decided to try and buy a car to leave at our home in France.

We are looking at buying a French registered car in the UK, and driving it over.

Thank you

Some have claimed that car insurance is cheaper in France but we have certainly not found it to be so. Out of touch with UK now after 4 years but initially our costs doubled for what amounted to the same car, i.e. £180 in UK -v- €400+ in France.

You can shop around online with outfits such as [url]www.assureland.fr[/url]

Be careful buying a French car in UK, it may seem like a neat idea, and it can be, but make sure you have all the correct paperwork necessary to re-register it in France otherwise it could turn into an an expensive undriveable liability instead of an asset.

My advice would be to go to a local broker and sit down and discuss with them exactly what level of cover you want. If the car will be garaged for a lot of the time you can save a lot of money by getting an agreed mileage policy. You can choose how much excess you want, obviously the higher the excess the lower the premium. There are various levels of breakdown cover. Etc. Etc. I've found French insurance brokers more willing to tailor the policy to suit you, whereas in the UK most policies seemed to be off the shelf packages.

Archived