Complete France Forum

Caravan towing speed changes

Bugsy

Bugsy, I'm not aware of any changes and I've done a search just now without finding anything new. Have you been given any clues about what signage has changed? I'll watch this space in case someone else has any news! Non-caravanners often come up with wishful-thinking "legislation" ! [:D]

I found this whilst searching for anything new.

Caravan speed limits in France

This bit, if true, will surprise many.

"Example

Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDI SE

Gross vehicle weight - 2160kg

Towing limit - 2000kg

Gross train mass - 4160kg

If you tow any trailer/caravan behind this car you will need to tow at the lower speed limits regardless of how much your trailer weighs. If the Honda is towing a caravan weighing 1000kg (total weight of 3160kg) the lower speed limits will still apply, because the gross train mass is over 3500kg.
"

My own car has a GTW of 3700kg which would put it into the lower speed limit category with any weight of trailer.

Interesting.

I would be interested to see an official French source for clarification.

I am struggling to think of any 4x4 or larger van on the road that has a train weight of under 3.5 tons - there are probably plenty of saloon cars that are over 3.5 tons too. Every one of these should supposedly be towing at 90 on motorways and 80 on main roads with an 80 and a 90 sticker.......Thats something you dont see a lot of, do you?

I must admit to never having seen this previously.. and we used to be CC members too! Shows you how you can miss important changes.

Last updated July 2010, it appears to take a different view of the towing limits, at least as far as I understand them. However, in my case I don't see any change!

Our car GVW is 1890kg, and the caravan is 1035kg max weight loaded, a total of 2925kg; the caravan is less than the car and the whole lot is less than 3500kg. No problems so far, and within the recommended towing safety limits.

Using the "new" information, the Gross train weight would be 1890kg for the car plus 1300kg for the max towing (braked) weight limit for the car, a total of 3190kgs, so still able to tow at the higher speeds.

It actually seems a bit illogical as some bigger cars make better towcars, and are more stable because of their weight!

It's a bit of a minefield as I can't see any easy way of policing regulations like this especially if the French say that new stickers are not mandatory.

I feel sure that this must be the stickers and limits information that you heard about. 

The relevant text is décret n°2008-754 du 30 juillet 2008 which modifies article R. 413-8-1 of the code de la route

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do;jsessionid=B353F84254CEDCDDD3CFF5E388461657.tpdjo15v_3?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006074228&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006842186&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid

So if your PTAC or PTRA (if you are towing) is greater than 3.5 tonnes, you are subject to the restrictions - even if the combination has an actual mass lower than 3.5 tonnes.

Regards

Pickles

Archived