Complete France Forum

Importation Tax, TVA on a car from Germany to France?

ChamonixFirst

I am planning to purchase 2 vehicles for my business in Germany and register them in France.

I have a Business TVA/VAT number so I am able to purchase the vehicles at NET price in Germany. If I pay VAT in Germany I cannot reclaim it so that's why i have to give the car dealer my TVA/VAT number so I avoid paying it

The question is will I have to pay TVA when I register them in France ? Everything i read seems to be different.

The vehicles are 3 years old and have more than 6000km on the clock too.

Also does anyone know about importation Tax ?

The vehicles are Vauxhall Vivaros 2.5 dti 9 seater cars. Both Euro 4 engines. How much will it cost to import these too ??

Thanks in advance

Phil

www.ChamonixFirst.com

Geneva - Chamonix Airport Transfers and inter resort transfers

No expert in such matters but on the face of it I can't see why they would be regarded as anything other than secondhand vehicles in France and therefore not liable to TVA upon registration.

One possible difficulty to watch out for though; Vauxhall as a marque is virtually unknown in France and doesn't even have an entry on the fiche technique site where you can find out the fiscal HP (CV) for a vehicle which in turn determines the cost of registration. This could also likely mean that a C of C for France will be hard to come by.

Good luck

[quote user="AnOther"]One possible difficulty to watch out for though; Vauxhall as a marque is virtually unknown in France and doesn't even have an entry on the fiche technique site where you can find out the fiscal HP (CV) for a vehicle which in turn determines the cost of registration. This could also likely mean that a C of C for France will be hard to come by.[/quote]

I suspect that they would be badged as Opels if sourced in Germany ...

Regards

Pickles

......and as three year old cars, they will meet EU type approval so there'll be no problem obtaining EU certificates of conformity for them.

Don't forget, you'll be liable to the eco-malus which is due on cars first registered abroad from 2008 onwards and which are being registered in France for the first time.

You can find their CO2 emissions value from the official ADEME Enviroment Agency website

Once you have that, you can use this handy calculator to work out the overall cost of your carte grise.

Do it whilst you're sitting down.......[:-))]

Hi that info is great. Regarding the eco malus, on the site it says this (Sources : base UTAC des véhicules homologués jusqu'en septembre 2009)

Does this mean if i purchase a vehicle newer than that date i dont have to pay the €1600 per vehicle ? Im confused, surely the newer the vehicle the less you pay because they are more co2 friendly ?

Cheers

Archived