Complete France Forum

Controle Technique - Obligatoire & Volontaire

tasng4

Does anyone out there know why there are two types of CT test available?

I plan to import a car into France purely to sell on. I can't get a CT until I get ann the paperwork together which could take 12 weeks. However, I'm wondering if I have a CT volontaire will this list any defaults obligatoire and Defaults 'contre visite'? This would enaqble me to offer the car for sale without a 'proper' CT but with a verbatum list of issues?

Or is my understanding completely wrong.

I think what you are talking about with volontaire and obligatoire is simply the difference between the test you must have when the vehicle is 4 years old, and then every 2 years thereafter, and a test you can have done at any time you like, such as you might need to if you were selling it.

The problem these days is finding a CT station willing to test a car without a C of C.

As above, the volontaire test is the same examination, but done at any time of your choosing, whether for selling the car or just to check its condition.

Re the C of C, even my tame CT tester will now refuse a foreign car without one - the rules have been tightened and when starting the test, the computer asks what documents are present, whether its Carte Gris, foreign reg document and C of C, or a few other options. If you dont have suitable papers, the test cant proceed.

Oh bugger, I guess I either mis-understood or was too hopefull. I guess I'll have to get the Quittus Fiscal and sit out the 10 weeks period it takes the FFVE to issue the Demande d'attestation. hence it'll be Christmas before I can proceed. This is odd because most insuers only allow you 1 month to import despite the regulations giving you 6.

Thanks to all those who posted at least I have a better understanding now.

I think you misunderstand the 6 month rule.

By EU directive 6 months in any 12 is the maximum period you may keep a car in another state before you must register it, this is a blanket rule and is totally separate from any issues of insurance or residency.

As a French resident you normally have 1 month to register a car although this is extendable to a maximum of 4 month in circumstances where say the DREAL or FFVE are involved and as long as you are demonstrably getting on with the job most insurance companies will continue to cover you if you go over that.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="dave21478"]If you dont have suitable papers, the test cant proceed.[/quote]As we still hear the occasional tale of a CT being obtained without a C of C it would seem that there may be the odd wrinkle in the system which permits it [;-)][/quote]

I would guess it depends on the Type Mines. If the car were a bog standard 206 diesel or something similar that the tester sees every day, then chances are he will know the Type code, or be able to make a decent guess at it (it is normally incorporated into the first part of the cars chassis number). A CT tester who were so inclined could enter this Type, the computer would retreive the relevant details to be tested (Its all in a database - from the Type, the computer then knows what emissions limits it must meet, which size tyres are homologated for that model etc etc - this information is then transmitted to the testers hand-held gizmo and he checks these details as he inspects the car). But my Landrover for example is a model relatively rare in France - without the C of C the Type code was unknown and entering the relevant letters from the chassis number brought up details of a different model. Fotunately in my case, the only differences were the number of seats and the Genre - I had a letter of PARTIAL conformity which confirmed this so the tester was able to alter manually these two sections on the computer and do the test.

Archived