Complete France Forum

Does AA European Breakdown Cover apply to a small Ford Transit?

Daft Doctor

Hi, I was looking into hiring a Transit in the UK to take over the smaller stuff related to our move to France next April.  The local van hire company said it wouldn't be a problem, he would give us a letter permitting us to take the van out of the UK but we would need to organise and pay for AA European Breakdown Cover for the trip.  I looked on AA website at the T&Cs and it specifies a maximum width of vehicle which is 2cm narrower than the gross width (inc wing mirrors) of a Ford transit (dimensions from Ford website). 

Before I ask the AA's advice, has anyone used cover for a Transit before or have any knowledge on the subject.  It seems that if you exclude the wing mirrors it qualifies, if you can't it doesn't. Thanks in advance 

I would be surprised if the mirrors are counted in the measurement. The critical factor for most breakdown companies is the gross weight and wheel base of the vehicle, i.e. will it fit on a recovery truck.

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]

Before I ask the AA's advice, has anyone used cover for a Transit before or have any knowledge on the subject.  It seems that if you exclude the wing mirrors it qualifies, if you can't it doesn't. Thanks in advance 

[/quote]

Surely if you're thinking of  using the AA you need to ask the AA themselves! Anyone else will only give an opinion, right or wrong. In the event of a breakdown if they refuse to come to you, you won't be able to quote a user on this forum who said "Oh, the mirrors don't count".

Have you tried other breakdown cover suppliers, specifically for vans? I Googled "van breakdown cover" and got a load of hits.

Yes Sid you're right and I have already rung them.  The AA say its the minimum width you can make the vehicle that counts.  i.e. if you can turn the wing mirrors in and that brings you under the 2.3m maximum allowed all is OK.  I'm sure you can do this with Transits so question answered.  Yes, I know there are other breakdown companies who offer cover, the van hire company I chatted to specified AA cover however so that's why my question was specific to them. 

Can't comment on the AA but when I hired an LWB Transit I had to arrange breakdown insurance. Did it via the RAC and the van did breakdown. My only comment on the service from the RAC is that they could not have performed any better than what they did. The chap who came to recover it seemed a little concerned on loading it on to the back of his truck because of the length.

Paul

Archived