Complete France Forum

things wot I learnt driving home for Christmas

HoneySuckleDreams

some things I  remember now I've sobered up after New Year

1) speed cameras work in thick fog

sort of.... I kept being overtaken by the same Swiss cars on the way back home. What is it with the Swiss? where are they going? 

Very thick fog meant I was crawling along at 40kmh. You know the signs that say "keep two lines between you and the car in front"? I couldn't see past the 1st "trait". Anyway...swiss blokey blasted past me and the camera flashed. Which was rather scary when you think how fast they must have been travelling to set it of (i'm assuming it works on Infra red). But it made me think. Even if the sensor set the camera of, would the picture be any good? or is it clever enough to take to infra red photos?

2) Don't stop for a pee in the dark on the N70 (the bit after Chalon Sur Saone)

I stopped for a pee and rather than do the french bloke thing, i.e. stop, open car door, step out, pee, get back in, drive of. I did the British thing and headed for the toilet. Just about finished my business when I heard the door go and a rustle. I turned round and there was a woman standing there who asked would I like a peep. ummmm...No I wouldn't like a look. No.No. monsieur, a "peep" with rather appropriate (or unappropiate if you like) hand signals. Ahhh.. the penny dropped... A "pipe". Then I looked a bit closer, at the 2 o'clock shadow on her chin...or was that oil from the numerous "peeps" performed on the Polish/Latvian/Lithuanian/Portugese/Hungarian/Welsh lorry drivers that were parked up for the night? Who does she/he think I was? George Michael? He was in bed with man flu  (or was that manfred) in switzerland at the time. I politely declined, mumbling..wife/kids long way to go, thank you but no thanks.

So.. you have been warned. Maybe that's why french guys don't use the toilets.

I would like an answer to the speed camera thingy though. Would you get caught, being flashed at in the fog (no pun intended)

Archived