Complete France Forum

French points on UK Licence

Lenny

Hi all, long story, short as possible! We moved to France in 2004, when my son was 14. In Jan 2008 he took his French driving test and got his licence. Got 1 point in May 2008 and 4 points in Feb 2009. Decided he wanted to go back to the UK in Oct 2010. Exchanged his French licence for UK, and passed his LGV class 1 in August 2011, and decided to take his artic test the following month, but due to circumstances beyond his control, it was postponed. So he decided to visit us for a few months, before going back to take his test, and starting his career. Last Nov he was stopped at the end of our road for no seatbelt (3 points), and has now received a letter saying that he has lost his licence. As you can imagine, he's gutted. As he has a UK licence, and is only visiting, can anything be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Makes no sense to me.

You lose points in France and gain them in the UK.

So his UK licence must have around minus 8 points on it.

Seriously, France can't take his UK licence off him.

But do try to teach the lad a bit of common sense - if he wants to drive for a living he'll have to wise up and look after his licence a lot better than that.

If he now has a UK licence then the French cannot touch him and his licence remains unblemished, doubly so if he is not French resident.

If the French still think he has a French licence then something has gone wrong as an exchanged licence should be returned to the issuing authority for them to update their records.

Given that I'm puzzled why the French knew or even thought that he had a French licence when presumably he produced a UK one for his latest offence in Nov.

Whatever he needs to pay more attention and have respect to the law, whether he's actually lost them or not a potential loss 8 points in under 4 years is nothing to be proud of.

Thank you for the reply I was just worried that the 4 points that he originally had on his French licence, would be registered on his British one. He did not have his licence with him when he was stopped, but speaks fluent French, and explained the situation. He offered to produce it, but the Gendarme said that it was not necessary. As for his driving, I think the potential loss of his licence has given him the proverbial kick!

Archived