Complete France Forum

Buying motor and other insurance online?

Daft Doctor

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had experience of buying motor (or other) insurance online in France?  I don't like the idea of using an agent unless they are no more expensive, and sites like Assureland.com seem comparable in use to UK sites like Gocompare,etc?

When I did a mock motor insurance quote on Assureland, the only thing that stumped me was how they described the length of no claims being taken into account.  They didn't seem to use years as such, but some other form of annotated system.  Anyone have any ideas how to translate years to this French system.  Advice as always much appreciated.

The insurers do a sort of translation of your claims history which you need to get from your UK insurer - your no claims bonus amount won't help afaik.  I think that just because of that that buying on line might be really difficult for your first time.  Maybe use an agent now and change after the first year?  Just a thought.

I can recommend a good company (I have no connection with them and I'm not the only satisfied customer on this forum.)  Nick Chubb at ASTTRAL.

I have bought a couple of policies online and it went smoothly enough, but there are issues to be aware of. Firstly, if you passed your driving test as 17, most sites will not accept this, they all default to flagging an error if you appear to have had a licence since before you turned 18. I just put my pass date down as 1 year later than it was.

You still have to send in copies of carte gris, licence etc through the post. Your UK NCB will count for nothing online either, you either start again from zero, or find an agent who will transfer it to the French system.

I have used online companies for car, motorbike and house (all found through assurland) with no problem. They just needed proof of NCD from previous insurers (one company wanted 2 years proof and the other wanted 3 years proof) sent to them and they did accept proof from the UK. I got the full 50% no claims here in France.

PM me if you want to know who I use.

The 50% rate is built up over thirteen years in France, so if you have anything less than 13years NCD the scale goes down, although as said above they just accepted 2 or 3 years NCD proof from the UK.

Archived