transit road through the area. ALL vehicles in these zones - whether

German registered or not - have to display an emissions sticker showing

the emissions class of the vehicle. Failure to do so results in an

on-the-spot fine. To get one, you can either go to a TuV station, which

will issue one on the basis of the emissions data from the carte

grise/CofC for around about 10-12 € OR you can get one online via the

following website:

https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

It costs 6€ via this route. The sticker lasts for the life of the car, so does not have to be renewed unless you have to replace your windscreen.

Just don't do what I did........

Last autumn, we decided on a last minute camping trip to the Vosges with the idea of visiting Freiburg in the Black Forest as it's one of our favourite German towns in that area.

I looked up the process for getting a sticker and found I could get one from DEKRA France by sending off a copy of my carte grise and a cheque for 17€.  As we only had a few days before the off, I was a bit uncertain of whether the sticker would arrive in the post in time, so I checked out the Freiburg city website in case we needed to get one locally.

Stickers available from City Hall or any TuV station for between 4-8€........[:(]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Just don't do what I did........

I looked up the process for getting a sticker and found I could get one from DEKRA France by sending off a copy of my carte grise and a cheque for 17€.  As we only had a few days before the off, I was a bit uncertain of whether the sticker would arrive in the post in time, so I checked out the Freiburg city website in case we needed to get one locally.

Stickers available from City Hall or any TuV station for between 4-8€........[:(][/quote]

They are available online from TuV Nord for 12.50€, but the Berlin city office online link above will deliver them by post within Europe included in the 6€ fee for the sticker! The application is sent electronically: you need to scan in your V5C/CoC or Carte Grise.

Just to add a bit more information about these low emission zones (Umweltzonen) so you can check if your vehicle is going to be OK or not....

Passenger cars are classifed according to their Euro emissions rating.  As a general guide:

Euro 1  - vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 

Euro 2  - vehicles manufactured between 1996 and 2000

Euro 3  - vehicles manufactured between 2000 and 2005

Euro 4  - vehicles manufactured 2005 onwards

Euro 1 vehicles are currently banned from all zones.  Euro 2 and 3 vehicles are now banned in most zones and will be banned from all zones as from January 2013 unless they are retrofitted to meet the newer Euro 4 standard.

Euro 4 vehicles are OK and the green sticker is valid for the life of the vehicle.

No doubt the low emissions zones planned for French cities will be based on the same criteria......

SD's table is primarily for diesels: any catalytic-converter-equipped petrol car is treated as Euro 4 compliant and would get a green sticker.

Historic vehicles - over 30 years old - can be exempt but it is not entirely clear as to how foreign-registered historic vehicles get the exemption.

And for old timers - cars that is not drivers !

"Vintage cars are vehicles that are at least 30 years old and

have an "H" historic registration number or a red vintage car

registration number plate. Due to a nation-wide exemption for such vehicles

added as an amendment to the Marking Ordinance. Such vintage cars can

freely move within the environment zone"

http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/umwelt/luftqualitaet/de/luftreinhalteplan/download/Umweltzone_Broschuere_en.pdf

Obviously foreign 'vintage' cars will not have neither an 'H' nor a red plate however on the basis that subtleties of carte grise normal -v- garte grise collection are likely to be lost on the Germans the mere fact of being 30 years old should exempt my MGB [;-)]

Good job too as we are planning a trip to Munich in the Autumn in it taking the scenic route across to Italy and up over the old San Berndino pass. Might even include a reprise of the Stelvio whilst we are in the area [:D]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Munich's Umweltzone comprises the whole of the city centre within the inner ring road.  There is an extensive park and ride system in place around the zone which might be a useful option for you. Secure parking with video surveillance for between 0,50€ and 1,50€ per day.

http://www.muenchen.de/verkehr/auto/parken/park-ride.html[/quote]

You've just saved me a job, SD - we're off to Munich next week. Thank you very much.

Itr is only selected city centres where the Umweltzonen are to be found, so just being over the border is not a problem;  However just being over the border and in the middle of Aarchen could be a problem.

Thanks for the info but parking in Munich is never a problem for me.

We have friends who live only 3km or so out of the city center with

private parking and also virtually next to an U-bhan station so once

there, apart from a trip to the beer shop for a couple of cases of beer there is rarely any need to use the car at all [;-)]

Archived