Complete France Forum

A ludicrous situation

Daft Doctor

Before I moved out to France I thought I'd make my life easier by sourcing a LHD car through what seemed like a reputable UK broker (for reasons apparent below at the moment I shouldn't really name them).  The service offered included taking my RHD BMW in pt-ex, delivery of the LHD to France and french vehicle registration.  I had no issues to start with and from initial enquiry everything was seemingly dealt with efficiently and professionally.  Soon before delivery however, it was claimed that the initial car ordered wasn't up to scratch so after much to-ing and fro-ing another was apparently sourced from the Bordeaux area. 

When the car arrived (a week late) I was happy enough with it, a nearly new Passat estate with 12,000km on the clock, but it was dark blue not the dark grey promised.  I wasn't bothered by that either, but contrary to what the broker had told me, the only documentation with the car was a photcopy of the carte grise, in the name of a fleet company.  He told me not to worry, the documentation would go direct to him and he would deal with it.  I sorted insurance out via a broker and after the 8 days needed under distance selling regulations informed the broker I was happy with the car so he could process the paperwork, complete the registration and get a replacement carte grise to me in my name.  I was made aware by my insurers that there was a one month grace period for obtaining the carte grise and it was an offence to drive in France without a valid carte grise in your name for the insured car.

I'm sure you can guess what's coming, but despite numerous emails, some answered, some not, and phone calls to their UK office, by the end of the grace period I had no carte grise and no proof of title to the car.  As a result, since last saturday I've had to stop driving it and lock it in our garage.  I now have a lovely car, nearly new that I cannot use legally, and no other means of transport as we are a one car family now.  Imagine how angry and frustrated I am.  Of course I am going through the process of firstly seeking a solution from the broker (who told me the dealer he bought the car from was 'being difficult about the paperwork' and then told me to stop chasing him as 'he'd sort it out') and it may well end up in the UK courts as breach of contract issue (it is a UK contract, only with the broker as seller, not the dealer and valid under Sale of Goods Act and Distance Selling Regulations), but it also frustrates me that I do have the car and French law doesn't permit me to drive it.  In the UK it wouldn't have been such an issue, but here it is and I am now faced with having to trail to Geneva next week to hire a car for who knows how long until it is sorted out.   If anyone knows of a legitimate way around the not being able to drive it issue, I'd be most grateful to hear it.  Considering that I may never get ownership of what's in my garage and might lose the money I paid for it, incurring car hire costs on top (which I will of course pass on to the broker for reimbursement but may also not get without court action) really takes the biscuit!   

Did the broker ever ask for documents from you proving your address(an EDF bill for instance) and proof of identity.?

That is a requirement to register a car in France.

You could always try to reregister it yourself by using a coy such as

http://www.cartegrise-enligne.com/achat-carte-grise.php

You will need documentation from the broker proving you have bought the vehicle,as well as the usual proof of ID proof of address etc.

Thanks Baf, yes, when I placed my order originally I provided proof of address and photo ID to the broker as I was promised it would be a simple process for them to register the car online for me.  The purchase contract I got from the broker didn't state the exact registration mark of the vehicle provided although the model was correct.  I can get all the immatriculation details from the old carte grise, but if I could get the broker to provide me with a full proforma receipt it might work.  If I could just get rolling again I can sort out the legal title business afterwards.  Will check out the website link and see if that is likely to suffice.  In typical fashion, after a terse phonecall to their office he texted me yesterday late morning to say he was on his way to France and would ring me on his mobile when he arrived.........still waiting.....

As I am writing this an email has come in from the broker saying he now has the information needed to register the car and will do it on Tuesday after the French public holiday.  He has apologised but admitted that since the sales manager went off on maternity leave he has been overstretched.  Hopefully he'll deliver on the promise this time......

A happy ending......eventually.  The broker emailed me an 'accuse d'enrigistrement de change du titulaire' as promised on Tuesday and lo and behold the Carte Grise (as was) arrived today.  At last I could go down the hill to Carrefour and get decent amounts of shopping in, including that lovely own-brand chocolate ice cream.  At under 3 euros for 2 litres that must be one of the best bargains in France......

Archived