Complete France Forum

Mini-Dormobiles R Us

Alan Zoff

After 13 years and 175,000 miles (280,000 kms) of almost trouble-free service, it is time to change the trusty Mazda saloon. And I am thinking laterally - or more specifically, horizontally.

Can anyone suggest a modern vehicle that can sleep two adults overnight in reasonable comfort but remains practical and economical enough to double as an everyday car? I am not looking for a luxurious campervan - rather something that doesn't guzzle fuel and in which we can get a proper night's rest in a fairly normal sleeping position if we pull off the highway for several hours. Getting too old to lie across seats and suffer being poked in the ribs by hand-brake levers and gear sticks.

Does such a car exist?

Mitsubishi Delica, Mazda Bongo etc. There are loads of this sort of vehicle........oh, wait. they are japanese imports, so impossible to register in France. fucking FARCE as usual.

[:@]

One person flat in the back of a large estate is do-able, but two people is a push, especially if there is any luggage.

OK, I know these bods are in the UK but this strikes me as an economical way to do it:

http://www.convertyourvan.co.uk/prices/

Otherwise, take a look at a modern Mazda - they nearly all have easy-fold-flat seating in the rear and some would probably be long enough for two adults.  Another suggestion is the Kia Sedona but the disadvantage with all cars is the lack of privacy, when compared to a van.

If you can ignore the fact that it's built in India

http://www.cardekho.com/carmodels/Nissan/Nissan_Evalia

I had a good look in one of these yesterday and the seating arrangements are mega-clever so that two people under 6' tall could certainly spend the night spread out in the back - even better for just one.  There's an offer on at Nissan at the mo' for the bigger engined one pretty well loaded for under 19k - they start at 16.5 or so.  Really practical imo - very tempted myself as I can get my stuff (electric scooter, manual chair etc) in and out very easily as the platform is nice and low, and could kip alongside very easily.  Haven't driven one yet but I certainly will when (or is that if?) my cash comes through.

Archived