Complete France Forum

Total Oil

Russethouse

This is a 'girly' question so apologies in advance.......

We are going to France at the weekend and want to stock up on the Total oil which is recommended for our car, (and which is not so readily available in the UK) which is 0- 30 semi synthetic or 5-30 fully synthetic. (IIRC)

I'm hoping it will be stocked in the hypermarket, what I need to know is what it is likely to say(in French) on the container regarding 'fully synthetic' and 'semi synthetic'...... I thought I had this sussed but today I saw some Total oil labelled 'synthetic technology' that confused me rather

TIA

I can't tell you what half mineral half synthetic is as I don't have any here. It is not "mixte" as that refers to suitability for essence or diesel engines.

"de technologie synthése" or "100% synthése" will be on synthetic oils.

I bought 5 litres of Mobil1 5-30 ESP in Roady the other day at €60, which works out slightly cheaper than Halfords online price of £52 (or £18 for a 1litre bottle!). If you're lucky you may find it in a supermarket slightly cheaper, but I've looked around our local city supermarkets (Vannes) and they didn't have it.

Steve

Thanks Sc.

We bought a litre of the right stuff but not Total brand for 14.99 GBP, Mr RH would like Total/Mobil if he can get it, and it's not so readily available in the UK from either Total petrol stations or Citroen main dealers, naturally we'd like to save money, but that's not the main concern, for some reason Mr RH really wants the right brand.......

I always buy the oil which the manufacturer recommends for my car. It is an Alfa Romeo, so I have it sent over from Italy.

I also have genuine Tiger Balm sent from Singapore for my bad back, I have Sensodyne toothpaste sent from UK because it fills in those little holes in my old teeth, and I get Omo sent from Australia, because it washes whiter.

[:D]

[quote user="Russethouse"]We all have funny little ways

[/quote]

Yes, I know.

Seriously, though, any oil of the recommended spec. from a reputable manufacturer (i.e. one you have heard of) will be just as good.

The whole situation has been complicated by manufacturers' use of the term "synthetic" and ensuing court battles over its actual meaning.

The result is that "synthetic", when used to describe oil, is practically meaningless.

The only one I trust is Mobil, who invented it.

Well I was thinking we would buy 5 litres if we found it, however this is the first time we have used this car on a long weekend and really I can see us changing it before too long.....It's a little cramped

Now thanks to BF we have to schlep up to Calais and then from Dover. Not looking forward to it.

Archived