Complete France Forum

Getting at tow bar fitted and engine needed

carolmiers

To be legal the tow bar needs to be certificated as to its compliance / suitability.

Manufacturers design specific attachment points for tow bars and therefore they are specifically designed for a particular model. Hence a tow bar for a Pug 206 is only suitable for use on a Pug 206 and that could even be limited by ages. I.E. there could be one for, say, a 2001 - 2004 and a different one for 2004 onwards.

Bugsy's link allows you to match a caravan to your car so long as you know what caravan you have in mind.

This one http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp#tab1 just gives the towing capacities for each car. The Peugeot 206 has a large range, from 700kg which is pretty well useless for a caravan, right up to 1300kg which is fine for a small 'van, all depending on the engine size. So, you need to be more specific with your model.

It's important when towing a caravan to get the right ratio of car/van weights. The general recommendation is that the weight of the loaded caravan shouldn't exceed 80/85% of the kerbweight of the car. You can find a lot more information by browsing the main caravanning sites like the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club. 

As PaulT has said, the towing brackets are vehicle and model specific, so you could only put the bracket on another car of the same make and model. Generally people don't take the brackets off once fitted. It's best to get the fitting done by a professional if you don't know what's required. I've fitted loads of them over the years as we've been caravanners since 1980 and I've just fitted a detachable bracket to my new car. The bracket itself it usually very straightforward as all of the mounting points are built-in by the manufacturer. The complication comes with the electrics, especially on the latest cars which have multiplexing systems, and for these a vehicle specific electric kit is essential.

I bought my bracket from UK, half the price I would have paid here, and it was shipped over for £25. I got the electrical kit from a Renault main dealer so as not to have any warranty issues (the car is brand new).

In UK towing brackets have been part of the MoT test since 2009, and is part of the Contrôle Technique in France.

We love out little Eriba Puck, at 499kg you can tow it with just about anything. So far we haven't been able to use it as much as we would have liked but now I've retired hopefully that will change.

[img]http://bugpuck.be/zone/puck-78-1.jpg[/img]

Good question, Teapot! [8-)]

Nice one, ANO ! Good size for storing too, and for manhandling, not to mention towing. Probably better for touring rather than staying in one spot, but an awning would be a good addition.

We've made resolutions to get away more this year with our caravan, and have already booked in at a site in Albi to see a stage of the Tour de France.

Teapot ????

I think the engine question is how big it needs to be for towing where bigger will always be better. As already stated though it's the actual tow vehicles weight limit which counts not it's engine size.

I have a full awning for the Eriba Sid.

[quote user="AnOther"]Teapot ????

I think the engine question is how big it needs to be for towing where bigger will always be better. As already stated though it's the actual tow vehicles weight limit which counts not it's engine size.

I have a full awning for the Eriba Sid.
[/quote]

théière = teapot, n'est-ce pas?  [;-)]

Archived