Complete France Forum

Paid off French mortgage

Mr T

Hi

We took out a Euro mortgage with Abbey National France in 2002 to buy our French apartment, and the notaire had appropriate paperwork to certify that there was a mortgage on the property at the point of purchase.

In 2004, after a spot of luck selling a property in the UK, we decided to pay off the French mortgage, and after we did so we received a confirmation letter from Abbey National France to say that the mortgage had been paid off.

We have since wondered whether we should have received anything from the notaire to confirm the change in mortgage status, i.e. to confirm that we now own the property outright.

We are interested in hearing from anyone who has also paid off a French mortgage and can detail their experiences. Of course we could contact the notiare but I just wondered if anyone could enlighten me on the theory before I try out my language skills on an elderly French official...

Thanks

Mr T

Was your loan hypothecated, as if it was, I have been told that one has to pay to get the property out of the hypothecation system. Otherwise the hypotheque expires automatically some time after the date the morgage was due to finish.

If you didn't have a hypothecated loan then it should be OK,

I doubt that you will get anything else. I would keep that letter saying that you are all paid up though.

Thanks for a prompt response.

I've no idea what hypothecated means so I'd better check the ANF paperwork again! I presume though that if I was expected to do anything that ANF would have mentioned it in their closing correspondence to us.

Cheers again.

Archived