Complete France Forum

New type of onboard radar

Pickles

According to Midi Libre, unmarked police cars carrying onboard radar and "invisible camera flash" are being introduced, which will work whilst on the move. Their margin of error is more relaxed than the fixed versions, and so are aimed at catching the more egregious cases.

Yes, but there is one point I have noticed which puts their legality in question: the radar is hidden behind the number plate which flips down for it to work. My understanding is that all plates HAVE TO be fixed so they can be read at all times, or do the police now have the right to ignore this.

[quote user="woolybanana"]the radar is hidden behind the number plate[/quote]

Yes ...

[quote user="woolybanana"]which flips down for it to work.[/quote]

Hmmmm ... I don't think so. I have seen piccies in which the reg plate has been hinged down to reveal the gubbins behind, but this was for clarity: in normal operation it looks THROUGH the reg plate (and indeed on the piccies that I have seen, there was no mechanism to lower and raise the reg plate).

Incidentally, they are now also rolling out fixed radars that are supposed to be able to tell the difference between a lorry and a car and apply the appropriate limit.

Archived