Complete France Forum

Car insurance that charges by the KM?

hstraf

Hello,

I am wondering if there is such a thing as car insurance that charges by the KM. 

We have a 2nd car that we rarely drive, so it doesn't make sense to have "normal" insurance on it.  We drive it maybe once per week for about 50km or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I think you'll find that most insurers may take the view that:

1. The person who may run into the back of you won't know you only do 50Km a week

2. The person who may steal your car (whether parked up whilst you're doing your 10Km run to the shops, or parked in your drive/garage)won't either

3. If your car explodes or is otherwise combusted, the mileage is irrelevant.

If I am correct, most insurance policies make a point of asking you to indicate your approximate annual mileage before calculating your premium. In the UK, I once made a point of telling my (potential) insurer that I'd overestimated my annual mileage by about 5000 miles. The difference in the annual premium as a result of this reduction in mileage? 50p

I thought most insurers offered limited mileage policies, you pick the mileage you expect to do in a year and the lower the figure the lower the premium.

With mine, you submit your mileage at the end of the year and get a refund per mile on anything below.

And I'm quids in because my car clocks up in miles and the limit is in KM, but the insurers said they couldn't cope with that so ignore it!

That is with MMA.

Archived