Complete France Forum

Petrol pump problems

WendyG

Hi everyone

After standing for one month my wonderful very reliable 24 year old 230 Merc automatic car will not start.  There is nothing wrong with the battery but it is obvious that no petrol is getting through.  My UK garage suggest a "tap" on the fuel pump or that it could be the relay.  They are willing to "talk it through" with my French garage but as they are French speaking only and my French is not up to garage speak I wonder if anyone could give me the French equivalent of relay and a tap on the fuel pump!

I had a new fuel pump etc less than 2 years ago and am wondering if the extremely hot weather has somehow "dried" something out and caused the problem.   It normally starts on first turn of the key even after many months.

I have recharged the battery to be sure it is okay and am going to listen for a "buzz" on trying to start the car.  They tell me if no buzz then it is definitely a fuel problem.

Many thanks

Relay = Relais

Tap on the fuel pump = Donner un petit coup sur la pompe a essence.

Explaining the problem to your garagiste = Je pense avoir un probleme de pompe a essence. Lorsque je demarre, je n'entends pas la pompe se mettre en marche.

I hope this helps.

That is only one possible cause though, and as Mercedes are not exactly uncommon, around here at least, I suggest that you just let your local garage diagnose the problem themselves. A fuel shortage would be immediately obvious, and you could be pointing them in the wrong direction.

The fuel pump condition that you describe sounds more like a 1960 Morris Minor than a modern car with injection!! I never hear my fuel pump.

Thanks everyone - the "tap" did the trick!

Car is 24 years old so pretty basic thank goodness.  There is a little "buzz" when key first turned!

Back to running normally now.  It is a beautiful car and usually starts and runs like a dream.  Very comfortable too on long journeys.

[quote user="sid"]

The fuel pump condition that you describe sounds more like a 1960 Morris Minor than a modern car with injection!! I never hear my fuel pump.[/quote]

Our Saab 93 (year 2000) is privately serviced by a friend who works for SAAB ..... [8-|] .... I had a whizzing noise out of the starter motor each time I crancked. The solution at SAAB ???.... deep in in a bucket of Diesel and fit back in place ...... it worked a treat !

Archived