Complete France Forum

French car - UK address

Deauville

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Long term lease cars are registered in the name of the lessee, not the leasing company.

In any case, I can't see many people entering into an expensive lease contract so they can have a new car sitting outside their holiday home for most of the year......

[/quote]Point taken, Mr Driver - I was really only toying with ideas!

• 3 years later...
Apologies for re-igniting an old thread -- Just wondering if anyone could give advice on this situation :-

I'm UK resident and have a house in France. I'm soon to be heading to Belgium to buy a car to export to France where I will re-register it.

I will be driving the car back on Transit Plates and want to go via the UK to load up with belongings that I have in storage. Would it be legal for me to drive in the UK on Transit Plates?

[quote user="kevhatch"]Apologies for re-igniting an old thread -- Just wondering if anyone could give advice on this situation :-

I'm UK resident and have a house in France. I'm soon to be heading to Belgium to buy a car to export to France where I will re-register it.

I will be driving the car back on Transit Plates and want to go via the UK to load up with belongings that I have in storage. Would it be legal for me to drive in the UK on Transit Plates?

[/quote]

The short answer is "No".

The longer answer is still "No" but that other people have got away with it. If you are stopped (what are the chances?) then you must be able to prove that you have a right to drive the foreign-registered vehicle on UK roads.

Export or Transit plates are "non-UK number plates". If you reside in the UK, then, as has been exhaustively explored in this thread, you are required to immediately re-register the car in the UK if it is to be used in the UK at all.

If a non-UK-resident drives it in the UK, then you would be OK.

Why not get someone else to drive you and your belongings over from the UK to collect your car - offer them a weekend in Belgium?

Finally, be aware that there is currently a proposal that would remove the "holiday home" or "second country" exemption: ie you would be required to register any vehicle that you own in the country of your primary residence.

Thx for the reply Pickles, pretty much what I expected after reading through the thread, wishful thinking that there would have been a bit of leeway regards the transit plates as they are for a limited time and not obviously used for evading VED etc. ..... time to rethink my options, late night ferry crossing maybe!

[quote user="kevhatch"]Thx for the reply Pickles, pretty much what I expected after reading through the thread, wishful thinking that there would have been a bit of leeway regards the transit plates as they are for a limited time and not obviously used for evading VED etc. ..... time to rethink my options, late night ferry crossing maybe!

[/quote]

Someone I know brought a car into the UK on transit plates on the way to going over to the Rep of Ireland, where he lived (he was Irish) and where the car was to be re-registered. He basically had to prove that he wasn't UK resident when he came through the UK border control. This was however about 11 years ago.

[quote user="kevhatch"]Not knowing any non UK license holders that could drive the car for me while in the UK I guess I'm going to have to play safe and just drive straight to France.

Thx for the advice

[/quote]

Wise man!  Not smart doing something illegal where the consequences could make life difficult later.

Have your stuff moved as a part load by a concern such as Anyvan.  You could be pleasantly surprised at how little it costs.

Archived