Complete France Forum

best loan to do up property...?

Blade

we are looking for a loan /mortgage to do up our property. Our property has now been paid outright but we need to do this up. i have heard of a new "pret hypotheque" . I or my partner have not decided our fiscal status as yet though at present we are still under the UK system until we work out the best options considering we will be doing some uk work too. we are self employed . It may be easier to be under the french system considering i have a daughter (will post message on childcare in one of these posts too)i have also read about 0 per cent loans - what are the advantages and or disadvantages of this too? any help appreciated. we would like to get this sorted by Jan as we also would like to do some rentals for income asap.

Sorry, don't know anything about loans but it may be worth you asking at your Mairie if there are any grants available for renovating an ancient property. In our part of the Charente there is a scheme to help do up old properties (but we didn't know this until we had virtually finished the renovations). There are also various tax credits on energiy efficient refurbs like new windows, heating and insulation but you have to be in the French tax system to claim.

Anyway, if you are living in France you don't have a choice of fiscal regime - it has to be French with worldwide income declared.

If you have already paid for your house then I would imagine that you would be offered personal loans to do this work. And they would depend on income. No more than a third of all income can go towards all loans and credit.  One cannot usually remortgage a house that is paid for.

Also these loans at 0% are usually means tested and one has to be rather poor to get them.

Pret that has an attached hypotheque are usually just a normal mortgage in France and there is nothing new about them.

Archived