Complete France Forum

Toughened up Controle Technique effective 19 May

minnie

"Could you really take it 3 months earlier just to get around the new regs?"

Of course, why not? My CT wasn't due until July but I had it done last month because I'm working in various different locations through April and May and I wanted my local man to do it. Now I hopefully won't need to scrap it until March 2020, instead of July 2018.

mint wrote : If you were selling the car, for example, you would need to get it CT'd because it has to have minimum 6 months on it prior to selling.

Rather the CT has to be less than 6 months old when you sell the car so there needs to be at least 18 months remaining on it.

mint wrote : Seems an awfully long time though, 18 months?

Many sellers get the car CT'd just as it goes on sale .. to prove to prospective purchasers that it's roadworthy.

It is a legal requirement that the car has a valid CT with more than 18 months to run when re-registering the car in your name .. unless you are re-registering a UK car with a valid MOT, when you are ok if there is at least 6 months to run on it.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]"Could you really take it 3 months earlier just to get around the new regs?"

Of course, why not? My CT wasn't due until July but I had it done last month because I'm working in various different locations through April and May and I wanted my local man to do it. Now I hopefully won't need to scrap it until March 2020, instead of July 2018.[/quote]

I see, but taking it earlier than 1 month means your 2 years starts form that date, not the end of your old CT?  UK, you can have the MOT one month early and add that extra month, effectively 13 months until the next MOT. Going in earlier means 12 months from that test date.

Your CT always expires exactly 2 years from the test date in any case. There is no system of adding on any unexpired time left from the previous CT. If your CT expires in June and you get it CT'd in May, the new test will run out the following May.

I'd forgotten this little quirk about UK MOTs.

Archived