Complete France Forum

House Price Increases in France

moon

The french way of having the buyer pay agents fees, together with the size of those agents fees must have an effect on house price  increases.

I have seen a situation with a house close to ours which sold for £40,000 including fees which were in the region of £6000 at the end of 2004 beginning of 2005. It is now on the market again basically untouched for around £50,000. This is the vendors way of recouping their £40,000 they paid last year the rest being the agents costs on the new sale. In this case a no profit/no loss situation for the current owner is actually a 25% price increase. Nothing like the inflation rate, or am I missing something here.

Bob

You are not missing anything but will the house sell to anybody who knows the local market ?  We spent a good six months looking for an area where local house prices had been driven wildly upwards by people buying on a 'House in the Sun' type time scale. I do not believe there have been anything like the volumne of sales in the last twelve months than in previous years. Agents who were saying things like 'Its good you are searching in February' because we could not show you as much if you came out in June are having far fewer people walk through the door this year.

Archived