Complete France Forum

Upgrading (rather than replacing) Computers

Martin963

You first have to discriminate between Windows updates and individual programmes 'phoning home' for updates all the time.

Assuming you are using XP Windows updates can be turned off by right clicking on my Computer them Properties and under the Automatic Update tab chose the action you prefer. Automatic is the default. I will leave it to others to get hot and bothered about turning them off save to say that personally I rarely bother with them and am highly selective when I do.

For programmes there is usually an option to not check for updates. Printer software is also notorious for nagging you to register which also consumes resources.

Many AV programmes default to daily scans which is completely pointless and downright stupid so check in their options for this behaviour, commonly is under scheduling. Also daily definition updates are really too much and weekly should suffice.

One point about using standby, if an update has kicked off then it can be hard to stop and can often survive even a reboot let alone going into standby so it's best to not let them start automatically in the first place but once they have you should let them run to conclusion.

A final tip: when installing anything do not automatically choose the default but if available use 'custom' where you will often find options for updates and 'start with Windows' etc. which you can deselect at that point rather that trying to turn them off afterwards [;-)]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking of trying to increase the memory in an old computer and have looked on the microsoft support website where it gave the following tips.

Check your owner's manual or motherboard manual to determine if your RAM is parity or non-parity.

Determine the speed of RAM (measured in nanoseconds).

Determine whether the computer uses single in-line memory modules (SIMMs) or dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs).

Determine whether the computer uses Fast Page-mode DRAM (FPM DRAM), Extended Data Out DRAM (EDO DRAM), Burst EDO DRAM (BEDO DRAM), Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM), or RAMBus DRAM (RDRAM).

Determine the number of pins on the motherboard: 30, 72 or 168.

Determine the number of open RAM slots that are available on your motherboard.

I don't have a manual for the computer. How do I determine the above things?

Archived