Complete France Forum

cost of living

Jevans

Would anybody be able to give me some idea of what income I would require to live a modest lifestyle in France without a mortgage? I have read lots of good advice on living in France but I have seen no mention on what might be considered a reasonable income for a married couple with no dependants. I appreciate that this might be subjective but I would be interested to see if anybody could come back with a figure.

This question has been asked before so it would be worth doing a search, but I'm not sure which forum is best. I seem to remember the figure came out at 1000-1500 per month. Do you intend to do much renovation/ DIY? If so you would need more.Our utilities etc approx 10 items come to about 400 euro per month.

Off track a bit I know but could be relevent. My brother lived in France for 4 years until 18 months ago when he returned to the UK. He came over to France to see his old neighbours for the May bank holiday,went to his old LeClerc shopping haunt and could not believe how much the prices had increased since he left France. People who live and work here don't really notice these increases so much but to anyone thinking France is a very very cheap place to live in, think again because although property price increases here are not on par with the UK, health insurance has crept up, social charges have gone up,carburants have gone before the recent oil problems and unemployment is rising again especially amongst the young,to say nothing of projected increases in Taxe d'habitation and foncires this year and for rubbish collections. At the end of the day, it seems to me that people retiring to France with good pensions are the only ones who won't notice any difference and will possibly fare better.

Hi,

If you do a search popping in a keyword such as "costs" you'll probably find a lot more on this subject - I asked the same question on here a few years ago, and people have asked it again since.

I also remember starting a thread a while ago (within last 6 months) about all those unexpected costs that we all forgot to add into our calculations - when I wrote that I was talking "moving over" extras such as the cost of obtaining copies of various documents etc.

Now that we own a house and live here I would add a lot more to that "unexpected list" - such as more powerful garden machinary (strimmers, mowers etc), the cost of the "Christmas calenders" (think of this more as an expected tip to your dustmen, postmen etc), costs when the computer inevitably breaks down 1 month outside it's warrenty period, the cost of an extra freezer (essential if you live in a remote area) etc etc. This isn't to mention all those unexpected repairs that occur in an old house.

You can trim your budget and live VERY modestly on the amount you mention if you grow your own veg, keep to bare necessities etc but (in my opinion) it is vital to keep at least 10,000 in a bank in a contingency fund.

Penny

Archived