Complete France Forum

Chambre de Metiers

Diynovice

Hi there
Has anyone had any first hand knowledge of the weeks course at the Chambre de Metiers? Is it all in French and do you have to pass an exam at the end of it? Can speak some French but I am not fluent by any means and am feeling slightly apprehensive!

I want to work from home (SW France) as a beauty therapist.

Any advice would be most welcome.
thanks

The content and standard of the course would appear to vary greatly between chambres des metiers, which are generally run on departemental basis.

I know of people who have been on a course, and got their registration, taking a 'translator' who knew little French, so they have ended up knowing next to nothing about French business practices, which is the object of the course. This shows in the way they do business unfortunately. Other regions are a bit more fussy about their courses.

The Chambres des Metiers deals with manual trades: what you propose would most likely come under the Chambre de Commerce. Many of these - also run by departement - organise similar courses.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

Hi
Yes I done the course in June, it is all in french and they dont make any allowances for you if you cannot speak french. I took a neighbour with me who translated it all for me, it is a business management course, they discuss how to write devis and bills, how to work out the tva, book keeping etc, it is compulsary but there is no exam at the end, you receive an attestation saying that you have completed the course and you need this to register your business.
If you take somebody with you , you will have to write a letter explaining why and take it to the chambre de metiers with you.
Hope this helps.

We did it nine years ago and I went with my husband who did not speak hardly any french and we managed fine. The first hurdle though was that everyone had to introduce themselves and talk for about five minutes all in french as was the complete course. We were the very first english people to do this at our centre so of course there were lots of conversations about the differences between the two countries and their systems. Be warned though for as soon as you complete the course everyone will be after you for money,signing up and getting you to join their system as well as the government ones and get yourself a good accountant which you will be taught about on the course.

Archived