Complete France Forum

Casual selling

SaligoBay

I'd like to try to sell my wares, but all these posts about running a business are very scary.

I'm talking not much more than pocket money here, nowhere near the limit even for a micro-enterprise.

Truly, casual selling. You know, make a few things, rent a stall one day and sell them. Might not make any more for another 6 months.

Is there a method whereby I can do this? I feel that doing courses at the Chambre of Commerce and risking huge tax and cotisation bills when I've only made 200 euros in the year, well, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense really!

A kind of equivalent of the cheque d'emploi system would be ideal, I think.

I feel that I must be missing something. I can't be the only person who wants to sell small amounts of stuff, surely? Those Africans who sell cheap jewellery on their black-covered trestle tables, do they really make enough money from that to pay high cotisations and taxes?

Can anyone help me to understand?

Thank you,
SaligoBay

SB - I've just posted this in another topic, but it might apply here too.

I have it in writing from our local URSSAF (and I'd imagine this should apply elsewhere) that if your income is below 15% of the current social security threshold (29,712 up to 1 July last, so it has probably increased slightly now) you are not required to register your business and pay business cotisations.

I'm pretty sure that all income has to be declared to 'les impts', but if your income tax liability, after allowable expenses etc have been taken into account, is less than a certain figure (I think about 80) you don't have to pay it.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

>
>
>Can anyone help me to understand?
>
>
>Thank you,
>SaligoBay

Try this link - http://www.boutiques-de-gestion.com/

The local one here in the Gers (Auch) was really heplful in explaining how the system works (or doesn't) and the best way to go about setting up - in my case as a travailleur independant.

There appears to be one in Montpellier (which I believe is closest to you).
Obviously don't kno 'ow gude ees there Englis - but, if I kno mes onions i rekon yure french is pritty gude.

Setting up on your own here is not as bad as a lot of people might like to make you think. You just need a lot of patience and a sense of humour helps to deal with the local bureaucracy.

Bonne chance ....... Desmone

Archived