Complete France Forum

invoices written in french ?

Cathouse

We are in the process of setting up in business and have already issued devis in english.
We have been told by somebody that when we issue the factures after the work has been completed that we must write them in french otherwise the notaires will not accept them against CGT when the owner wishes to sell !!!
We are unsure if this is correct , if anybody can help it would be gratefully appreciated.
Also if it is true then how would we go about translating them as my french is not that good.

LAST EDITED ON 11-Aug-04 AT 10:25 AM (BST)

That is correct. As far as I am aware all invoices (and devis) issued in France for goods or services supplied in France should be written in French. This is definitely a requirement for capital gains taxation, and I think for TVA and insurance guarantee purposes too. I'm sure somebody with a building type business will be able to correct this if my information is wrong (my own business is somewhat different).

It's probably one of those requirements that exists but nobody really bothers with - until you come across an awkward notaire or tax official.
Edit - Val's reply would seem to confirm that.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

All our english clients receive their invoices in english and there has never been any demand to put them into french, even by notaires when re-selling their properties or by the french tax man here and our accountants (extremely large departmental gestion for the building trades) have never insisted on it either.

Archived