Complete France Forum

Community Nurse ( Infirmiere liberale)

Dreamers

My wife is investigating becoming an Infirmiere Liberale once her RGN qualifications have been checked/registered etc. Does anyone have any knowledge of such work, likely Social costs, remuneration (as it is not 'salaried' but self employed) and any other aspects of working as a community nurse  ?  She would welcome any feedback / advice.

From the patient's view of using our local "firm" of community nurses over many years on and off, I can give you the following from a client's perspective. They all seem to be self-employed as a cabinet with joint responsibility and work extremely unsociable hours. Ours came at 6.45am some mornings to give my son an injection against phlebitis when he was in plaster and in the evenings they came every two days at approx 8pm to dress my husband's mangled thumb. Our neighbour's have an 11 year old who is insulin dependent since 2 and they come twice a day - 7 days per week to give him his shot,at 7am and 7pm. There is a fair bit of paperwork involved too,so your wife would need be absolutely FLUENT in spoken and written french to deal with samples for the labs,doctors orders etc as well as dealing with the patients and you have not mentioned her language skills in the posting. Like everyone else who is self employed in France, social charges are very expensive with many compulsory payments into pensions,health unemployment etc. She would also have to have her own car and telephone for which I believe you can get a loan to help pay for it but remember it is a business and the cabinet has to make a profit to survive.

I agree with you Val about the need for fluent French. I don't want to pour too much cold water on anybody's enthusiasm or willingness to work, but a (French) friend of ours does exactly this type of work and she has had to, in effect, work the equivalent of two full time jobs (don't ask how) in order for her and husband to survive - admittedly in an expensive part of the south. Now that husband is working some of the pressure is off, but it's still not an easy life.

Thanks to Val2 and Will the Conqueror for your responses. With regard to the language, my wife is just learning french so is at the very basic level, although the 'cabinet' that wish to employ her say this will not be a problem !!! I think that they are desperately short of nurses here as in many other countries. We are still looking into whether it will be worth her while, as being 'self employed' can be quite costly and there is no point in doing the job if there is little recompense.  Thanks again both of you.

The amount that these nurses can charge is really low. They have to run their cabinet and their cars, how do they do it. And this from someone who's husband has worked shifts since he has been here, the hours are really anti social...........in this village at least. Here are the amounts they charge, and they seem pretty much what we have been charged in the past.

LETTRES-CLES

DEPARTEMENTS METROPOLITAIN
DEPARTEMENTS D'OUTRE-MER

AMI

AIS

DI

indemnité forfaitaire de déplacements (IFD)

Majorations

NUIT
de 20H à 23H et de 5H à 8H

NUIT
de 23H à 5H

DIMANCHE (1)

Valeur de l'indemnité kilométrique (IFK)

PLAINE

MONTAGNE

A PIED, A SKI

<

Archived