Complete France Forum

Mobile catering info needed - Charente

Clareh

Does anyone know what regulations need to be fulfilled in order to operate a mobile catering business in France (van selling cooked food), or where to find details of such regulations?

We are moving to Confolens (Charente) very soon and was wondering about a mobile fish and chip shop?

Would be very grateful for any information.

Horrific I should think if they are anything like those needed for opening a restaurant (or any sort of small business)! Mind you.....you could ask one of the pizza van guys who are operating in the Charente.

But where would you find customers? Lots of tourists during the summer but Confolens is very, very quiet during the winter. There is a fish and chip shop in the area (for sale I believe) and another British owned restaurant at Fontefie does fish and chips on Friday nights (also for sale). 

Now, an ice-cream van would be good

helen

Clareh

Welcome.  Sorry to sound so down, but are you aware that you will end up paying about 60% or more of what you earn to the French government?  I'm sure people will shoot me down for this comment, but really I think it should be looked at long and hard to save you loads of grief in the future.  I suspect most of your income from this venture would be seasonal, but your financial obligations to the government would go on throughout the year. 

"I just wonder who your customers will be French people dont eat fish and chips" BAF

I would in principle agree that it is not really going to be too viable a proposition as far as as making a living goes but, I have to say that there is a well known fish and chip shop in Paramé, Saint Malo, originally started by a British couple and owned for the last 5 years by a hard working French couple, that do quite nicely and the majority of their clients are French. 

A turkish chap we know who has lived in France since he was a boy decided to set up in business with a mobile kebab van round the area. He started out for a few weeks and then was pulled up and told absolutely nothing conformed with the regulations and yet his van and equipment were clean and safe to us. It took him nearly a year to get sorted, his van had to be completely re-fitted out and then he was only allowed to set up in just a few designated areas both in town and round the district. He did it for about three years and then gave it up as it cost him a lot more in social charges and taxes than what he earned. The same goes with a Pizza van which comes here once a week, his prices are horrendous when you can buy fresh pizza half that price in the supermarket and he never seems very busy. You would really need to check out with the local Chambre de Metiers as to the regulations and registrations etc first or if they are not helpful the local CCI,but don't just set up and start selling food as you could be in serious trouble.  At least here they have strict regulations, not like the battered old ambulance the asians near us back in the UK used to use,we called it the kebabulance because they never painted over the end of ambulance on either side.

what about if we bought a shop unit in confolens, would this be better do you think?  we thought of starting off with a mobile one to see how it goes and if it goes well then to try and buy a shop to set a fish and chip shop up?

i know the shopin Lizant is very busy and the french do like the fish and chips! I do believe that it is for sale but it is too far away from where we have bought our property near confolens.

There was a very good fish and chip shop where I lived in Wandsworth called Brady's.  The food was posh, but the decor and atmosphere was very simple and relaxed.  The waiters were all very attentive and knew their stuff.  It was cheap.  They sold wine and beer and had a wide range of sauces to go with your fish - which were cooked in any way you like including grilled or poached.  They offered a wide range of types of fish and did a roaring trade (but remember that was in England).  They also provided a takeaway service.

Archived