Complete France Forum

Freedom of trading.

Chris Head

We've been here for a year or so now and the UK contracts I had when we left were enough to sustain us for at least a year without taking new business into account. I was grateful for the leeway as I wanted to choose how to register here, knowing the problems that would come....and I was right! I'm a chainsaw carver and also create interiors using Oak and the first time at the Chambre de Metiers the lady actually said to me that she would have to check with the house of artists in Paris to see if my occupation was a recognised one (boy did she have an ego on her!), well....after a few choice words from me and my wife kicking me alot under the table I think she fully understood I didn't give a damn what she or anyone else thought about my chosen occupation (we got a call a few days later saying that we were perfectly entitled to trade in France and would be classed either as Artisans or artists, the choice was ours, self employment in the UK for ten years helped alot).

I personally wouldn't have worked here without becoming 100% legit, the risks are just not worth it, and for anyone looking in for the first time, please don't be disillusioned about the complexities of the system. The chambre de metiers will answer your questions but won't tell you how to play the system...unless you ask the relevant question pertaining to your situation! If you love what you do, how can you do it when you're looking over your shoulder all the time or waiting for the call making an appointment to come and inspect you?

Good luck!

Chris (lavaud7@wanadoo.fr) if I can help anyone.

Chris, I think you will find a lot has to do with paying your cotisations in France. Artisans usually go for the whole hog - all the insurances,guarantees,ASSEDIC,URSAFF,PROBTP,AVA etc and many more plus a hefty taxe professionnelle and taxe d'apprentissage every year, Artists are more likely to be a lesser producer of work (not meant nastily,but meaning they take longer and don't turn over so much in one quarter and perhaps do not have employees) and of course the question of TVA for registration. You can only register for one thing,so take your time and weigh up the pros and cons carefully. Yes, inspections do happen especially by URSSAF and the CPAM.

The pros and cons are always seem to add up to catch 22 Val! I'm not into chasing money but high insurances and social charges have to be passed on to the client which immediately puts me in a position where I have to charge more than I really want to. Luckily we've been 'befriended' by a particular advisor at the Chamb de Met who is steering us!

Chris

Tell me about catch 22 in France. Whatever you do,you can never beat the system. I received some very official looking paperwork last week telling me that I had to reply before Dec 20th and when I sat down and studied it very very carefully I discovered it was some company in Paris sending out these things offering to get you on lists to quote for very large public works etc and they wanted 160€ for the privelidge. This was the first time I had ever received one of these enquiries and they actually rang this morning asking why I hadn't replied. I told them I was not interested,we prefer smaller private domestic works and she got very snotty and said oh well I will cross you off our list, so beware of these type of things as they really do look governmental and before you realise it you can be out of pocket for something you don't want.

Archived