Complete France Forum

Low salaries

Jo53

Lots of posters have said that French salaries are very low, even for jobs that would be reasonably well paid in the UK. Does anyone have any examples? I don't doubt that what you say is true, but as OH and I are both searching for work, I'd be interested to hear examples of jobs that are badly paid here (apart from the obvious sorts of jobs that are badly paid anywhere).

Jo

If the smic is 1280 euros a month, lots of other jobs ie receptionist/telephonist or say an accounts clerk may get more. From what everyone tells me 1300/1400 euros is a pretty normal pay for lots of people.  20% odd percent stoppages and income tax,  and there isn't a lot left.

These 'better' paid jobs often need good qualifications and many firms do handwriting tests to check on future employees personalities, hence they like a hand written letter when applying.

There are very well paid jobs out there too, even of the most ordinary sort, like say an office clerk, usually with  big companies who often have decent packages, it is just getting in as there is a lot of piston that goes on.

We get lots of brit builders ring up to see if we can take them on as employees and when they say they want a minimum pay of £1000 per week, I have to tell them they won't even get that per month after all the charges are paid. They just don't understand that in most cases wages are fixed by the government according to the level of your qualifications and if the employer wishes to pay more,he can,but won't officially because of the huge increase on his quarterly charges,the same applies to hours worked over the 35 weekly. At the end of the day,its all relative to the cost of living and housing here which is lower than the UK and hence wages are less.

I work as an estate agent on the minimum wage, but the way I look at it is, that at least I am employed with the attendant benefits that being employed brings, rather than self employed, like so many of my colleagues, and my husband!

Archived