Complete France Forum

hi everyone,

i'm the new boy in town so please excuse me if my behaviour is not up to scratch!! my family and i are planning to move to the vendee region in the summer months this year and i will hopefully be planning to work ( i know,but some of us have to!)

i'm currently employed in the UK as an engineer for British Gas with full qualifications including LPG domestic maintenance.i am also very competent at electrical wiring and general household renovations but have no qualifications in these.

i've been told that there is plenty of work for plumbers, especially English plumbers as these tend to be looked on as a novelty??!!

is there anyone who has become a plumber in France after leaving the UK or knows how easy it would be to become self employed as an arisan?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

adam.

Despite what some may tell you, becoming a self-employed Artisan here is not really difficult, just expensive and time-consuming. There is bags of work for Plumbers/Electricians (for some reason, this combination is normal in France), but to register (which you must do, as the penalties are severe), you must be a) qualified and b) experienced - and be able to prove it, to the satisfaction of the person at the Ch de M that interviews you. You will need every piece of paper you posses translated (by and official translator) into French - this alone can cost you 30E/piece (and the list includes your birth/marriage etc certificates!).

There are lots of other hoops to jump through, but as I said, none of it is too onerous. However you can't do it, except in person, so no prospect of pre-registering before your arrival.

Also bear in mind that social charges alone will be in the order of 3500E in your first year, whether you make a profit or not. Very few people (married with kids) actually pay income tax. There are plenty of other taxes to pay on top of that! Insurance (compulsory) is also expensive.

You will need reasonable French unless you want to limit your market.

In my experience, your local Chambre de Metiers will be very helpful. Depending on where you are, more and more are starting to cater for English Artisans, with English-speaking staff, forms and courses.

Bon chance!

Archived