Complete France Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Moonbus

My wife is a qualified theatre nurse.  She is currently working on a short term contract covering maternity leave.  First thing she had to do was get her qualifications professionally translated.  this cost her about 80 euros.  Your qualifications do transfer but they need to be in French.

She was very fortunate as she walked into the local hospital and spoke to personnel and they just happened to need someone with her level of experience.  It helps that she is half French so the interview was not a problem.  Learning all the different names for the instruments has been her hardest challenge.  She has been told that if a full time vacancy comes up, it is hers, so in the nicest possible way, I hope the other lady decides not to return to work after having her baby.

The shortages are the same as in the UK.  Some hospitals and some wards can not get and keep staff and others never lose staff.  When we first looked at this as a possible option, we found a number of French hospitals advertising for staff on the internet, I assume you have tried a Google search (not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs) as this may be an option.

Bon chance

Archived