Complete France Forum

Selling small items

SaligoBay

I know people have asked this before, but I'm still not clear about it. 

We were walking through the backstreets of a village/small town the other day, and I noticed a hand-written sign saying "A vendre - napperons brodés et objets......"  (sorry, can't remember the French for crocheted!).

A quick look in the window revealed the crochet objects to be those dreaded dolls in frilly crocheted dresses.   Yes, you know the kind, you can stick a bog roll up them!!

Anyway, I suspect she was not a "fully registered artisanale bog-roll-holder crocheter", yet it was on full public display.

Is this legal?  Can any of us do it?  Is it just a case of declaring what you earn?  And of course, there is a limit to what you're allowed to earn, isn't there?

Not that I want to crochet, you understand, but many of us do have other talents that we could profit from, even in a very small way. 

And you'd have to be fully registered and insured, of course, in case anyone fell off and broke something.

It WAS a serious question, btw, sorry if the bog-roll-holder looked too much like a kipper rouge.

Is it at all possible to sell things legally?   I do mean small things, Christmas cards, touristy things, Mrs O's home-crocheted fishnets, whatever.

Could I advertise them, or would the Entrepreneur Police be down on me like a tonne de briques?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no YES

Everyone wants to be ooh so French, so what better then, than to copy the French themselves ! Selling little laces privately may destroy Carrefour's own emporium, so do be careful out there Grand Frère is watching you......

We buy most of our veg and salad from a couple of the folks around us, do they pay cotisations, well being agri, I guess it might be within their scope perhaps ?

Archived