Complete France Forum

CU - added value?

We're speaking to the owners of the piece of land adjacent to our bit about a possible purchase.

Bumped into them today and they said that the land is now on the carte communal and it has CU - they have asked a price of Euros12k for 2352 sq m. According to the Mairie it is not farm land and will never have permission to build because the plot is so small there's not enough room for a house and a fosse - mains drainage being out of the question because we're so isolated.

The owners are telling us now that they will maintain the selling price for 3 months until we decide whether we want to buy and then they will put it on the open market for a higher price.

We only want it for access and for a space to park cars and for visitors to park.  As the land is only that, effectively scrub land and can't be built on, we're wondering whether anybody has experience of this type of transaction.

We know it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it but we think that for car parkling and access - which we have already if a tad steep - the price is high, especially when the land is just that, a piece of land with no building value.

Observations would be welcome - we intend to visit the Mairie this week to discuss it further as we're having a series of meeting about the carte communal this month.

Hi Tony

FWIW - met a chap last summer who had just paid €18 per m2 for a 3000 m2 building plot (probably near Bretenoux) and I thought that was expensive !! Sounds to me as if yr neighbours are trying to climb on the perceived bandwagon that the rich immigrants will pay any price. So they decide pluck a figure from the air and stick to it come what may.

At the risk of teaching granny here goes

1. How close is the the land to yr underwater house ?

2. How would you be inconvenienced if A.N. Other purchased it to use as a manure store ?

3. Had they ever mentioned selling it before they obtained the CU ?

4. At the end of our road a house on a teensy plot has had a station d'epuration (?) installed so not sure that the Maire is necessarily correct as to the importance of size. And our plot is only 3000 m2 + the bit the barn is actually on, not that much bigger but perhaps a different shape ?

5. If you make him an offer at a price you consider realistic would he be so insulted that a blood feud will result ? Or worse ?

6. See how you feel after speaking to the Maire.

All the best

John

and

2352m² is really a decent sized plot - we have a pretty large house, with septic tank, on an area smaller than that. So taking it as building land, which is how the seller regards it, that's only a little over 5€ per m² which is pretty reasonable - most lotissements here, subsidised by the commune to encourage new families in the community, are more than that. Or have I got my sums wrong?

If the maire would not permit building, then just what does the CU cover?

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful, but as Iceni says, it's what it is worth to you that counts, how would your life be affected if it was sold to somebody else, built on, and somebody moved in next door? Try an offer, but if it is building land, I think you have to expect to pay the going rate in order to preserve it.

Firstly, go to see the Maire and find out what is on the CU so that YOU know what can be done on the land - a CU is not necessarily a building/construction permit so don't be bluffed by people who think that they can put the price up because they have a CU for the land! And I think that they are in cloud-cuckoo land if they think that they will be able to put the price up even more after 3 months and get a buyer - the price they are asking now works out at around 46,000 euros per hectare - unbelievable!

Secondly, don't pay through the nose for the land unless you have a lot of money that you can afford to throw away - offer a couple of thousand euros and see what happens - even that would price the terrain at around 7,000 euros per hectare, at least 6 times more than it is worth normally!

The Maire would be a good one to ask what he thinks about the price and so on, unless of course he is a relative of the vendor!

Is that really the price for land that is constructible. We are lucky if it is under €100 a m² here these days and if you can find land it is often a lot more than that. The price has very slowly crept and crept up as we paid around €20 a m² 24 years ago and we got a bargain.

So yes in my area, a CU would augment the price of land a lot, the difference in price between agricultural and constructible land being so big.

And there is a law I am sure which says that you have to sell something for the market value or there abouts. I can't be bothered to try and find it, but I am pretty sure that it exists.

I would say I was due east of you in the Alps. The prices here were a shock to us when we moved here, we could have bought a big luxurious house in the NE of England at that time for the price we paid for the land and a half finished house. Ofcourse prices consequently went silly in the UK and so we will be able to buy an ordinary house for the price of ours when we sell it.

I sometimes get the free property news and the prices, especially for land are incredible around here. I just can never believe how cheap the prices seem to be elsewhere.

Do let us know what the CU says when you get a copy. As I said before a CU is not necessarily a building/construction permit and all anybody can do for you at the moment is speculate.

Teamedup - what is this law that you are talking about, can you elaborate?

Archived