Complete France Forum

working for yourself in france

julie

This seems to be linked to the myth, that seems to be gaining currency at present, that new EU rules mean that anybody working in France can be taxed in Britain if they are paid in sterling - probably put about by unregistered tradesmen. Certainly our own accountants, who deal with a lot of British people living and working in France, have not heard of any new rule. 

Of course, if anybody knows different, we would be grateful for more details.

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]

This seems to be linked to the myth, [/quote]

I would have readily given the same response if I hadn't have had a brief conversation with some friends from the Uk the other day who said they caught the tail end of a radio programme which mentioned something similar, abou some new proposed legislation. Here's hoping!

Opalienne - I think you've cracked it, I'd put money on the media coverage of the so-called Bolkestein Directive being behind these rumours.

As you say, it is a long way from becoming European law (if it ever does). We all know what France thinks of European law when it disagrees with it, and the French are very strongly opposed to this one. In fact it was reportedly a major factor in France's rejection of the EU constitution. The UK government is basically in favour - hence the recent hype in the British media (and another opportunity for the red-tops to have another pop at Johnny Frog). A very diluted version sort of struggled through part of the EU legislation process last week when it was passed by the MEPs. But even if this sails through the process from now on, it will be at least two years before it has any effect.

This web page does a pretty good job of explaining things: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4698524.stm

How about....

If say you have a trusted 'relation' with the same intial and surname as you, who you  get to open a savings account for you back the 53rd state...

You then get some of you clients to pay you in sterling cheques made out to K.nickerlicker....

Kinda creates a siphon for funds...eh?

What do you think? Not that I would do this of course....

Archived