Complete France Forum

is working through a portage really effective as a 'toe dip'

tempinfrance

I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.Is it correct that one can invoice as a freelance (for example graphic design work) through a portage company, and if it all goes horribly wrong and only an hours work is forthcoming each month, you can stop without huge amounts of cotisations and an ongoing commitment to continuing self employment in order to pay social charges? Is working through a portage really the toe dip it seems for trades that can bill in this way?

I'd also be interested in knowing how it would work if I worked part time 'portage hours' (for example for UK clients) in addition to a 'proper' job with a French company. Proper job would be part-time hours.

Hi Nick

thanks for replying. If any one has details of a portage company i could call i would be grateful as not having much luck with those showing on google.

A bit confused as i thought the portage deducted around 40 percent for social charges - but if I registered as a business surely this will involve cotisations worked out for me prior to to earning. I had thought that the 40 per cent charges deducted by the portage represented all the social charges i would have to pay less tax.

[quote user="tempinfrance"]

Hi Nick

thanks for replying. If any one has details of a portage company i could call i would be grateful as not having much luck with those showing on google.

A bit confused as i thought the portage deducted around 40 percent for social charges - but if I registered as a business surely this will involve cotisations worked out for me prior to to earning. I had thought that the 40 per cent charges deducted by the portage represented all the social charges i would have to pay less tax.

[/quote]

As I understand it (you should check with an accountant, in France) your Portage company pays your cotistations as an employer and to do that they must give you a contract (long term, short term, permanent, etc). I'm not aware of an "as and when" employment contract.

Yes, your cotistations are worked out for you in the first year - about 3000€ in my case, yours may vary. That is how it works here.

As I have said before, if anyone can work out a way round the system, they will not actually need to work....

Archived