Complete France Forum

Setting up a business in France

sueb

Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a property in France with the intention of renting out part of the property as Gites (once renovated) and we understand that the best way for us to set up this business activity legally for payment of tax's etc is under the Micro-Bic fiscal regime (the turnover will be less than 27,000 euros) as a commercial type enterprise.

We would also like to hire out bikes to the guests as there are many cycling tracks nearby and have the following questions regarding this aspect which I was hoping someone would be able to help us with:

Do we have to set up a separate type of business structure/activity for the bike hire or can we include the bike hire and the gite rental as the same type of business?

If we have to set up a different business structure for the bike hire what would this be and how would we go about it?

Can we include the revenue form the bike hire along with the gite rental (if this can be conducted under the same business activity) and declare it all together in our yearly tax return under the auspices of the Micro - Bic regime?

Would we need to take out some kind of separate third party liability insurance for renting out the bikes or would this be covered under the individuals holiday insurance or under the house/gite third party liability insurance?

If we wanted to start out the bike hire prior to the gite business (whilst we are renovating) could this also be conducted as the same commercial activity as the gite rental under the Micro-Bic regime?

Look forward to hearing from anybody who may be able to advise

I'll give this a go

Re: setting up another business; probably not. But ask the Chambre de Metiers when you register & tell them your plans. So income would be considered all together.

A micro involves paying a fixed amount of social charges in the first 2 years (plenty of info as to how much on this forum!). On a single micro, you will probably not pay any tax.

You will need seperate insurance for the bike hire (if someone ends up in hospital whilst riding your bike, the hospital may expect you to pay). It would be difficult to start the bike hire business (without the Gite rentals) without paying the social charges, so I would advise against it.

BTW, I doubt if you could make a sensible living in the Gite business within the turnover restriction of a micro - just an opinion, I am not in the Gite business.

Archived