Complete France Forum

EU reaches deal over service sector reform

Iceni

Businesses will have the right to offer their services across Europe, under controversial new plans agreed by European leaders.

The EU services directive, which has previously attracted strong opposition from countries such as France, means from 2009 millions of service providers will be allowed to freely ply their trade in any EU member state.

According to the UK government, the main champion of the regulations, the EU's economy will be boosted as a result of market liberalisation for millions of firms including hairdressers, estate agents, builders, architects, plumbers and bakers.

Ministers say the UK will be one of the main beneficiaries of the changes claiming it is worth approximately £5 billion a year to the economy. Small and medium sized companies, which represent more than 90% of UK service providers, are particularly likely to benefit.

The controversial directive, which still requires final approval from the European Parliament, was originally shelved after fierce protests in France. Critics were concerned that the rules would mean an influx of cheap Polish plumbers undermining local French firms.

The new agreement has been watered down to accommodate French concerns. It states that workers must abide by the rules of the country they are working in, although member states will not be able to discriminate against foreign businesses.

Trade and industry minister, Lord Sainsbury said: "This is excellent news for UK businesses and consumers and will provide many job opportunities for skilled British workers.

"It has been a long time coming and I am pleased that the government's continuous support for this directive has now been rewarded. This commitment by member states will protect workers' rights whilst providing opportunities for British business across Europe".

Date:30 May 2006

Methinks the problem is in the emboldend text - ie no change there then.

[quote user="Iceni"]

According to the UK government, the main champion of the regulations, the EU's economy will be boosted as a result of market liberalisation for millions of firms including hairdressers, estate agents,

[/quote]

Sounds just the ticket.  Welcome to the future.

Phil

But don't rush to start using the new found freedoms just yet.

It is expected that the new agreement will be approved by the EU Parliament later in the year. There will then be a delay of up to three years while the individual county's enact the laws locally. I assume France will rush things through to get things moving as quickly as possible.......

There are many exceptions such as legal work, government & public sector services.........

And to humour the French any workers providing services in a foreign county will have to obey the employment laws of the host country not those of their home country...35 hour week , proof of qualifications , and presumably 10 year guarantees......etc etc.

Ooooo Cassis, you are one of these people who worry what other people think of you then.

So am I and I would like to add that Polish workers in the UK are treated appallingly.  My mate is Health and Safety Manager on a site full of polish workers under Italian management.  The havnt been paid for over a month and are living on hope.  The managers have trashed their staff room, pulled their radiators off the wall and thrown their food away.  The big burly poles put up with it because as I said, they live in hope.  My mate blew the whistle to the client, a big UK firm and all the Italians were sent home but the poles were never paid the 25p per hour they worked for in appalling conditions.  Lets hope this can change.  By the way, my mate got sacked but the poles invited him around to share a vodka.  They now call him Walesa.

Archived