Complete France Forum

Employment Agencies

Alec Elliott

Ok so today really Pi**ed, applied for 2 jobs this week through agencies, both pretty much the same and both I am more than qualified to do, and required 90% English which is fine and 10% French, which too is fine. So i sent of my French CV and Motivation letter to them only to get an email back saying thank you but I am not qualified for the position. How on earth they came to this when I have been doing the exact same job for over 10 years in England working with French and other european comapnies. I can only presume it's because I am English.

Perhaps the problem is that you are just that - 'more' than qualified. I have had the same problem too and it is frustrating. I have been looking for work for a few months and although my french is passable I could never perform here in France the job I did in the UK, so I am finding it hard when applying for jobs as my qualifications do not match those required (ie, none!). Being an english speaker is inevitably a minus point - why employ someone who isn't french when there are plenty of french people applying?... It's just more work for the employer, which never goes down well!

Don't be disheartened - two rejections is nothing really so keep at it. I am now resolved to be persistent, sending my cv each month to companies who say 'nothing at the moment but we will hold your cv' (in the bin...!) - maybe someone will employ me just to stop me hassling them on a regular basis - we can but hope.

Good luck,

Jane

I am applying for jobs with a foreign name - Jane isn't particularly french...! Ah well, at least rejections mean they are bothering to reply to your applications. It certainly puts things in a new perspective but that's no real surprise to me - I am a foreigner here and I don't speak the language fluently, plus jobs are few and far between.

Happy job hunting - I hope the next letter is a job offer! Jane

Archived