Complete France Forum

valid qualifications

sharon

This is my first posting on the forum and wonder if any of you good people out there can assist?

my husband has bought a business in france in the Limousin area, and I am due to join him  in the next year or so.

I have a Senior Social Work qualification and am a manager of a team. does any one know if the qualification is valid over in France?

as much as i would love to retire im too young [:$] , and it would drive me mad not to be able to work.

I would be grateful for any advice

thanks

Sharon, as no-one has responded, I will, although I don't have any knowledge of social work at all, but never mind that (!), because......  each time a question about transferable skills and qualifications is asked, the answer invariably is that you'll need to retrain or requalify to some degree, often a significant degree, in order to adhere to French legislation. 

Of course, if you can't speak excellent French, the validity or redundancy of your qualification is irrelevant, but I'm sure you knew that!

Best of luck, Mark [:)]

I have a feeling that this is another tricky one, slightly outside of my sphere of actual knowledge.

As far as I am aware these types of services are not directly performed by the State in France, more likely to be carried out by an association that acts on behalf of the State and not in the same manner as in the UK.

Home care and home "nursing" are I believe the same, I know of qualified UK nurses that have wanted to do home nursing in France and have at best been offered the equivalent of a care assistant / home help / general dogs body, on minimum wage as and when there is work available.

It would almost certainly be another case of ascertaining your exact situation with the Health Ministry in Paris.

Chris

Hello.

I am a qualified social worker. I did enquire what qualifications or retraining I would need here. I fear it is as Chris stated.

Social workers seem to be held in high regard in France. A French social worker told me it would be too difficult for someone from another country to understand the French culture, etc. I think she has a point.

I am also an Anglican priest (retired early) Now that is something the French do not understand but are always asking me questions about.

Best wishes

Archived