Complete France Forum

Property taxes - running a business in a residential property

diotima

Instead of just retiring when I'm 60, I'm thinking of moving my business to France with me. My question is, will I pay a commercial rate property tax if I use one room in my French home for my business? My business is entirely internet-based, selling services, not goods, and it would operate in exactly the same way in France: no business visitors to my home, no commercial waste collection, no sign from the outside that a business is being conducted there, no stock stored there, and the room and equipment I use in my business - computer, software, peripherals - are also used for domestic, leisure and study purposes. Under these conditions I'm not liable for any business rate Council Tax in UK - would it be the same in France or not? I've tried searching for this info on the Web, but been unsuccessful. Does anyone know the answer, please, or a link to a site where I can find it?

Thanks in advance!

Pauline

Hi Pauline

I do exactly what you are suggesting, I work from home I am registered as a micro-bnc with all the associated social charges etc..  I had an accountant who did all the paperwork and there is no requirement to pay any commercial tax but on the downside being a micro you don;t get to charge any expenses so internet expenses etc. are not taken into account.  It is better this way when you come to sell as well as otherwise you can get hit for other taxes for the sale of a commercial property.

[quote user="jpe"]

Hi Pauline

I do exactly what you are suggesting, I work from home I am registered as a micro-bnc with all the associated social charges etc..  I had an accountant who did all the paperwork and there is no requirement to pay any commercial tax but on the downside being a micro you don;t get to charge any expenses so internet expenses etc. are not taken into account.  It is better this way when you come to sell as well as otherwise you can get hit for other taxes for the sale of a commercial property.

[/quote]

One should still pay taxe professionelle (I do and I don't do anything from home - it is just a correspondance address). Also, don't assume that you will be allowed to run a business from home. It is not always the case.

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

One should still pay taxe professionelle (I do and I don't do anything from home - it is just a correspondance address). Also, don't assume that you will be allowed to run a business from home. It is not always the case.

[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, Nick. So far this is just an idea, much more research to be done before I decide. [:)]

Pauline

Archived