Complete France Forum

Re: Selling at markets

Will

I used to sell ornemental poultry at market, and pitches varied from 1.50 to 3.50 per metre - more at the fairs or on special occasions.  You'll quickly get the hang of it. In the early days, arrive in plenty of time and watch where all the other traders go to meet.  If in doubt ask where you find the 'placier'.  Competition for pitches in peak season is strong - if you start early in the season when the weather is horrid, you will normally manage to build up a relationship with the placier and other stall holders and can often get the edge over casual traders just passing through in the sunny season.  Some days you will do the tour of the market and the spare pitches will be allocated, and quite a few folk end up going home without having found a pitch.

I've got a proper market umbrella that I bought from one of the French traders and stand if you can arrange for collection (might still be able to find the table I used too - I'll have to check).  I'm on the Normandy/Britanny border.

• 3 weeks later...

Either take or send a copy of your siren / siret + your reg papers M.S.A.if you grow thingsor chambre de commerce if you buy and sell + your market traders licence +  an extrait k if your  in the chambre de commerce + a letter asking for a placing to the people whole run the market some times the Marie sometimes not. This has to be done on every market this is the proper way. However it is possible to just turn up and see the "placier" market manager but have all your papers as they can be checked by the police at any time. Dont try it before your registered. Prices range depending on the size of stand a 2mt stand 3 to 4 euro The best way is to visit a market the week before and see the market manager tell him or her what you would like you can also find out where all the stalls are bought from ask the stall holders. I assume you speak French. On most markets you wont get a fixed place straight away but if you keep going and ask for the same place once you face gets known your home and dry.

Very best of luck

Mel

Archived