Complete France Forum

Undertakers

Now you may find this a bit morbid but I have always fancied the idea of becoming an undertaker, its the challenge of being able to handle people in siuations where I would be able to help them feel better, imagine the buzz when you are thanked for going that little bit further to make there particular occasion special. "If anybody is still reading this" it strikes me that with so many expats now in France maybe an English undertaker would be appereciated.  I would be interested to know if it would ever be possible to find a position like this in France.

I know the owner of our local Funerium quite well as I've dealt with a number of deaths here in France.

For the actual number of Brits that needs disposing of here - the bodies are, in the main tho not always, repatriated - unless you have excellent, like really excellent French I'd look elsewhere as the majority of people you would deal with will be French and expect to be dealt with by people that they know, especially in rural areas.

And the majority of Funeriums in my area are family businesses, usually associated with ambulance and taxi provision, removing bodies from houses and accidents etc - you need serious French language skills to do it.

I would also point out that you need to be very au fait with the catholic funeral service too as several obseques that I have attended inthe past have been taken mainly by the undertakers themselves due to the shortage of an in-house priest and they have to sing and recite all the prayers etc. I can say on the whole that the public side of undertaking here is completely different to UK practices and you would need to be extremely fluent in french to be able to work.

Archived