Complete France Forum

PCV Driving in France

We are hoping to eventually move to france and after the initial renavation work is done would like to work maybe part-time. I am a bus driver here in the UK with a clear all types PCV Licence and would like to know if my licence will be valid in France and if any body else has done the same thing.

Hi Dixon,

In theory a UK licence is valid in all Europe, in practice the French have adopted European law ahead of most other countries and all professional drivers have to complete a refresher course every few years (can't remember if it is 3 or 5).  It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that all the drivers they employ have completed the FCOS, which is a 3 day course, 2 days theory and 1 day practical - in French of course. 

I work for a French company and they sent me on the course 18 months ago, it is also possible (depending on many factors) to complete it through the ANPE.  You could also do it privately but I believe it is quite expensive - but so is a PCV and without the FCOS, the PCV is worthless in France.  The other option is to find an employer that will employ you through the UK - tour operators perhaps, although the authorities will catch up with this soon I am sure.

All the best

Archived