Complete France Forum

Where do you Start looking for Work

Charlie

Welcome to the forum. 

I hesitate to say this, but given that an architect is responsible for advising on complex administrative procedures such as building regulations and planning approvals and liaising with the statutory authorities, dealing with structural engineering and costings, drawing up contracts with builders, monitoring site work, issuing completion certificates, etc etc, I suspect that your lack of French language skills may prove to be be a significant obstacle to finding work in your profession in France.

I see you are arriving here next month, so I'm a bit surprised to come across a request for this kind of critical information at such an advanced stage of your move.  I presume you are aware of the French immigration regulations for people who are not currently employed.....

Here in North 46 an architect may not submit plans for renovations etc > 170 m2 unless registered in France. Not sure what registered means but that could be a necessity.

BTW Tony, France is still a bit big even with a location. [:)]

John

All architects in France are governed by Loi No. 77-2 of 3 January 1977.  This specifies, inter alia, the required professional qualifications including the mutual recognition of foreign diplomas/degrees, inscription with regional bodies, the role of the Architectural Council, insurance requirements, etc.

The full legal text can be obtained from the [url=http://www.architectes.org/accueils/cnoa]Ordre des Architects[/url] website - in French, of course.

All courtesy of our old friend Google.....[;-)]

You are all right, should have put the area in. I am moving to the Vendee. I wasn't looking to take over the world, just for a

job, so I can learn French and maybe someday set up my own practice and then takeover the universe! P.S. What immigration law - are we not all a part of the EU?

[quote user="Charlie"] What immigration law - are we not all a part of the EU?[/quote]

You should read this first: http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/health_changes/health_changes_1.htm

If you are planning to move to France, or moved after 23rd November 2007

In order to become legally resident in France you must possess comprehensive private health insurance,

unless

• You have a valid form E106, see here
  • You have a valid for E109, see here
  • You have a valid form E121, see here
  • You are working or self employed in France, see

here
You must provide evidence of the insurance cover within 3 months of taking up

residence.

Hi Charlie

My hubby is an architectural technician. He is self-employed (in Vendée) but has been lucky enough to work for 2 firms of architects based in the UK.

He works from home and because they knew him from when we lived in UK, he has continued to work for them, but from France!

Perhaps you could do something like this?

He is fully registered here and pays all his cotisations, tax, etc, but all clients are in UK.

Best of luck - we are near La Roche sur Yon, if you want any help.

Archived