Complete France Forum

Moving to France?

Dear all,

I am doing some research for a project and hope you can help me out.

My parents moved to France when I was a baby (a few years ago now!) I have spent most of my life here, except for 3 years living in London.

I know from my parents’ experience that it can be very hard settling in a foreign country! (They have moved around quite a lot: France, Italy, China, India)

I would like to have your views on what was most difficult when arriving in France, the language barrier? The culture differences?

What would have made it easier for you to settle?

Would you have liked to have someone to help you out with day to day things such as finding a plumber, a doctor; help with the language and French administrative papers?

For those of you who own a house in France but still live in England do you have someone looking after your house while you are away?

Would it be useful to have someone who could look after your home for you? Not a house sitter but more like a House Concierge, someone you could trust to make sure work is done while you are abroad for example.

My parents still own a house in France but don't live there, it's been very difficult getting work done as they cannot be on site as much as they would like!

Thank you all for your time and help on this matter

Rather than 'researching for a project', are you actually thinking of setting up some kind of service to provide these things?  I think the same questions have been asked on the forum before by people looking to do this - a bit of judicious searching should find the relevant threads.

If you do a search for words like 'moving' and 'agency' or 'service' as I described, you'll find a number of posts relating to what you are interested in.  Try this one and don't be put off by some of the replies - not everyone approves of 'settling agencies', possibly because there are so many around who overcharge for providing very little in return.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/602583/ShowPost.aspx

Phil

Archived