Complete France Forum

Buy with confidence

Benjamin

It's quite straightforward really.  If you have internet banking, and if you have your account in France defined as a recipient account for your UK.  You simply go into the Internet and transfer from the UK to France.  Setting up the ability to do this can be the most difficult bit and will depend on the security measures set up by your bank.  So for example with my French account I have to visist the branch in person to ask them to release a particular account to be used as a transfer to over the internet.  Other banks will have other security measures to make it easier or harder.

All you need for such transfers are the BIC (I think that's it) /SWIFT code for the bank - equivalent to but not the same as the bank sorting code - and your IBAN International Banking Account Number - like your account number but 22 digits long!

Thanks for the info Hagar. I've looked at their site and the income/borrowing requirements are a bit too rich for me these days. I don't really want to spend 240 quid a year just to make four transfers a year. I will admit I haven't asked my bank recently but the answer always used to "sorry no can do" but see my next posting.

Benjamin

Hi Andy. Thanks for the info. I'm obviously with the wrong bank.

I've just looked at Barclays Internet site and this is what it states concerning overseas transfers.

International payments. It's currently not possible to make payments online to accounts outside of the UK.

Like most other people who've moved to France and want to retain a UK bank account for whatever reason, I'm reluctant to go asking my current bank too many questions in case they decide to close my account.

Benjamin

ps I've just been looking on another forum and someone's had their credit card withdrawn because they now live abroad.

[quote user="WJT"]Unless things have changed, our bank (Lloyds) charged us nothing when we transfered a large sum twice to purchase our house two years ago. Not to mention offered us the best exchange rate as well.[/quote]

They may well have been more competitive than the other banks.  The buy and sell rates of the best banks are not as good as the best FX brokers on large sums - otherwise no-one would use an FX broker.

The reason most places say 'no commission' is because their profit is built into their exchange rate.   It is a bit rude to charge twice!

EDIT:  Hagar - just seen your post - what was the bank exchange rate quoted compared to the spot rate on the day?  I'm willing to throw in the towel on this if it was less than 1 point under the spot!

[quote user="Cassis"] EDIT:  Hagar - just seen your post - what was the bank exchange rate quoted compared to the spot rate on the day?  I'm willing to throw in the towel on this if it was less than 1 point under the spot!
[/quote]

Keep hold of your towel Cassis. It was 4 years ago so I can't remember the exact rates. What I do remember is that taking all charges/commisions into account all three quotes for a 30 k euros  transfer were covered by a £150 spread. One of the brokers (HiFix I think) was about £100 better than the bank but given the speed/traceability/simplicity of doing it through the bank I went for that option.

That was for the deposit. For the forward contract to pay the balance both FX brokers needed a 10% deposit. The bank didn't. Since that was almost another 30k euros, it was a no-brainer going with the bank.

rgds

Hagar

p.s I didn't accept the first rate quoted by the bank. Showed them the HiFix quote and told them they needed to sharpen their pencils if they wanted the business.

Interesting peoples comments about 'do not go to banks for currency exchange'. In LF a couple of months ago there was a table showing the rates given by Barclays and various FX companies. Barclays gave the best - but in the article one of the FX companies was recommended and there was a large advert for them nearby!

Archived