Complete France Forum

Mains Water Pressure

CarolP

We are going to open a B&B in Brittany. Imagine this - a house full of guests at 0730 each trying to shave, shower, brush their teeth, etc. as I am about to start the laundry and the breakfast. Now count the complaints when only one water pipe gets the flow!
This is what happens now - shower or flush, but not both! And that's with just the two of us!

We do not wish to import English plumbing, but a header tank would seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Some ideas first two very easy :
What size are the water pipes which lead to the rooms. If pipes are 12/10 mm ( slightly smaller that you little finger) then they will never carry enough water to supply more than one thing at a time. If they are 16/14 ( about thumb size) except for the toilet which can be smaller than they should be OK.

Check with you neighbours and see if their supply is any better / under higher pressure. If they are OK and you are not I suspect water company valve in the road was not fully opened when they re connected you

Next Stage - Check that any stop cocks are fully opened.
Find the drain cock/tap and see what the pressure / flow is like there, with the stop cock on and the taps closed. ( if the flow is still very poor then I think you need to contact whoever supplies your water -)ust check 4 below)
3. Repeat 2 with the stop cock off and the taps open. The flow should not be as fast as 3 but you should drain the cold system in under five minutes If the flow is slow and 2 was OK you have either a valves turned down somewhere or partly blocked pipes / airlock ?
Have a look at how big the pipe into the house just before the water meter is. If it is small 16 mm or under then it probably needs up grading

After this it starts getting trickier and before you start opening up joints I would make sure I felt happy about refitting them. . Turn off the hotwater cylinder before doing this and also turn off the power if there are wires within range.

4. Check that any pressure limiting valves are still working properly / have not been turned down too low. Most of our plumbing is in the cellar which has an earth floor so I would simply undo the joint and compare pressure by holding thumb over pipe while trusted workmate gradually turned on stop cock. Then work throuh water softners and other joints till you find the culpret.

Archived