Complete France Forum

definitive repointing question

MStrell

Hi there

I have an old natural stone farmhouse that needs repointing (pierres). I have read all of the posts concerned with repointing and I must confess to being confused.

When I check out the Bricos and DIY shops in my local area (Limoges)either they don't sell the products named on these boards, or I can't find whether the products they DO sell contain lime (if that's what the product needs to contain to repoint pierres) or any other necessary chemicals.

Furthermore, when I look at the Weber-Broutin website I can't find any reference to chau de nau, which was the french translation for lime given in another post.

Can someone please help with this?? These are my questions:

1. what french term should I use for lime if I am trying to mix my own repointing mortar with products direct from the builders yard?

2. if I cannot obtain Procalit or the other product mentioned on these boards (I think it was Parexi), then what should I use?

3. are the products terralit and pascalit made by weber-broutin suitable for repointing pierres, and if I cannot obtain these two products what can I use instead??

I'd be really grateful for a clear response on this, so I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Many thanks!

Monika

>
>Having just repointed, what feels like hundreds of square metres of walls I may be able to help

>
>These are my questions:
>
>1. what french term should I
>use for lime if I
>am trying to mix my
>own repointing mortar with products
>direct from the builders yard?
>Chaux naturel
>
>2. if I cannot obtain Procalit
>or the other product mentioned
>on these boards (I think
>it was Parexi), then what
>should I use?
>
You can obtain Monodecor by Parex which comes in a variety of colours and we got ours from Pinault.

>3. are the products terralit and
>pascalit made by weber-broutin suitable
>for repointing pierres, and if
>I cannot obtain these two
>products what can I use
>instead??
>
Haven't personally heard of these, but you can make your own mix with a mixture of 3 to one (i.e. three buckets of sand and 1 bucket of lime plus a good squeeze of washing up liquid)

Hope this has helped.

>Monika
>
>
>
>
>

>When I check out the Bricos
>and DIY shops in my
>local area (Limoges)either they don't
>sell the products named on
>these boards, or I can't
>find whether the products they
>DO sell contain lime (if
>that's what the product needs
>to contain to repoint pierres)
>or any other necessary chemicals.

There are regional variations so not all products either go by the same name are available in all parts of France.

>Furthermore, when I look at the
>Weber-Broutin website I can't find
>any reference to chau de
>nau, which was the french
>translation for lime given in
>another post.

Neau is a village close to here in Mayenne. It has a huge lime (Chaux) quarry which is exported to many parts of France so this is a regional thing.

>1. what french term should I
>use for lime if I
>am trying to mix my
>own repointing mortar with products
>direct from the builders yard?

Chaux, also available called Tradifarge. Tradifarge should be available most places as it is made by Lafarge. Mix it three to one with sand. Add a mortar plasticiser and/or hydrofuge but I wouldn't recommend washing up liquid. We often use the above mix but every macon has his own recipe.

>2. if I cannot obtain Procalit
>or the other product mentioned
>on these boards (I think
>it was Parexi), then what
>should I use?

Yes Parex and Procalit should both be available but there are different versions so you really need to ask your supplier.
The advantage of these products is they are not only lime based but also have additives that make the product impermeable. The other huge advantage is that colour will always match and you can leave an area and continue it on your next visit. I find procalit easier to use than Parex.

If you have a large area to do then you could, as already suggested mix chaux with three parts sand and then add a hydrofuge. It is absolutely essential to order in enough sand to cover the whole job and also mix in the same quantities accurately or you will get an uneven colour once dry.

>3. are the products terralit and
>pascalit made by weber-broutin suitable
>for repointing pierres, and if
>I cannot obtain these two
>products what can I use
>instead??

Get yourself a W& B catalogue. Each product is clearly explained with which purpose it is suitable for. Many of these products are external renders made to be applied by machine.

If you want a ordinary ciment colour rather than a light shade that all the above products will give, then use a ciment with lime already added. One such product we use in the business is called Multibat - an excellent ciment for blockwork, ridge tiles, and pointing where a ciment colour is required. It is also good for ciment renders.

I hope the above is of some help.

regards,

Paul

Archived