Complete France Forum

Who or what is SAFER?

Just found mention of SAFER in another thread and think it must have something to do with use/farming of land. We wrote an agreement with a local man last year which he and we signed to say that he can grow a yearly crop on our 3+ hectare field, but he must have no interest in gaining rights over the land. He also cuts for hay, for his animals, our top field in return. This year was the first year and he only got two boules of hay from it.

Is SAFER to do with use of land? Is it an agreement? Can anyone tell me please?

The only involvement we have had with SAFER is when we applied for a CU to change our plot of land (6 acres) from farmland to a building plot.  They are an organisation (government run I think) totally on the side of the farmers and are there for the protection of the countryside; if they feel that someone locally could make better use of the land for farming rather than giving permission to turn it into a building plot, then they have the right to refuse the CU.  Anyone planning to convert farmland to building land will have their application referred to SAFER but only if it is over a certain size.

SAFER is a government organisation that values,sells and assists in use of agricultural land amongst other things - we came across it because we have had considerable problems with our agricultural land and have leased some to SAFER who sub-let it to a local farmer, but by using their "Mise a disposition"  scheme you can get the land back under your control. We have been to court over farmers rights twice (so far!!) - it appears that in France an agreement (even verbal) to let a farmer farm your land constitutes a lease which is a min of 9 years long and very difficult to break. Even at the end of 9 years there will be an automatic renewal unless you intend to farm it yourself........and if you sell the tenant goes with the land or has the right to buy it..........I would speak to your Notaire asap and stay on good terms with your farmer as he may well honour his commitment to you but the law will be strongly on his side.......details of SAFER and all their regonal offices at www.safer.fr   - good luck!!

Thank you Betoulle and Bevvy for the informative replies. I understand it now and am just a little anxious about our position. We have not used SAFER and have not spoken to the Notaire until the final signing for the house. He was very agitated about it and called the person who was farming the land into his office to sign various papers. We should have taken greater care since. We truly thought that as the person and ourselves all signed a waiver then we were home and dry on this.

We will go into this further. Thanks.

Archived